9 Days Murchison Falls, Kidepo, and Pian Upe Wildlife Reserve
9 Days Murchison Falls, Kidepo, and Pian Upe Wildlife Reserve feature exploring Uganda’s most adventurous places, Murchison falls national park which is the largest national park with a variety of activities to do, Kidepo national park, Pian Upe Wildlife Reserve, and Sipi falls. These create an interesting adventure exploring the different attractions they have to offer. Activities to be done include; Game viewing, Boat cruise, and Nature walk.
Safari highlights of the 9 Days Murchison Falls, Kidepo and Pian Upe Wildlife Reserve
- Day 1: Transfer to Murchison falls national park
- Day 2: Game drive and boat cruise
- Day 3: Transfer to Kidepo national park
- Day 4: Game drive in Narus valley and community tour
- Day 5: Game drive in Kidepo Valley
- Day 6: Transfer to Pian Upe wildlife Reserve
- Day 7: Full day at the reserve
- Day 8: Transfer to Sipi Falls
- Day 9: Transfer back to Kampala
Day 1: Transfer to Murchison falls national park
- Transfer to Murchison falls: Depending on your location, you will meet your safari guide and drive to Murchison Falls National Park-Uganda’s largest national park. The park is a habitat for big 4 games and the great Murchison falls. Have lunch en-route then proceed to enter the park from which you will drive to visit the top of the falls. The mighty Murchison falls are the most powerful falls in Africa that force into a narrow gorge of about 7 meters deep creating a strong sound and forming a rainbow occasionally. Thereafter, proceed to check-in your lodge for relaxation, dinner and overnight stay
Accommodation and meals (Full board)
- Luxury option: Paraa Safari lodge/Nile Safari lodge
- Mid-range option: Pakuba Safari lodge/Murchison River lodge
- Budget option: Heritage Safari Lodge/Red Chill Rest Camp
Day 2: Game drive and boat cruise
- Game drive: After an early breakfast at your lodge, you will go for a morning game drive on the delta area which is the best place to find most of the animals that reside in the park. The activity takes about 2-3 hours spending on the availability of the animals such as the Savannah Elephants, Rothschild Giraffes, Cape Buffaloes, Lions, Hartebeest, Uganda kobs, Oribis and Waterbucks. After the game drive, you will return to the lodge for lunch.
- boat cruise: Later afternoon, go for a launch cruise on the along the Nile which will give you an exciting panoramic view at the bottom of the mighty Murchison falls. Along the cruise, you will encounter crocodiles, hippos, and birds on the river banks like kingfisher, cormorants and bee-eater. After viewing the falls at the bottom, you will meet your driver who will transfer you back to your lodge as above
Day 3: Transfer to Kidepo national park
- Transfer to Kidepo national park: After breakfast, check-out of the lodge and transfer to Kidepo national park, located in the remote region of Karamoja in Kaboong district. It’s a 7 hours’ drive from Murchison falls national park with en-route stop on Gulu city for lunch and refreshment. Proceed via Kitgum district to connect to Kidepo national park. On reaching the park late afternoon, continue to check-in your accommodation for relaxation, dinner and overnight.
Accommodation and meals
- Luxury option: Apoka Safari lodge/Adere Safari lodge
- Mid-range option: Kidepo Safari lodge/Nga Moru Wilderness lodge
- Budget option: Apoka Rest Camp
Day 4: Game drive in Narus valley and Community tour
- Game drive in Narus valley: Wake up early and connect for a morning game drive in Narus valley. As you enjoy your game drive, bush breakfast will be served and return for more adventure in the savannah plains of Kidepo national park on your morning game drive in Narus valley. This area is famous for finding the big 4 game including the lions, elephants, leopards and buffaloes. If you are lucky, you will spot the Cheetahs and hyenas as well. Other animals to be found include the kobs, Oribi, Zebras, the giraffes to mention a few.
- Community tour: Return for lunch at the lodge and later afternoon; visit one of the communities around the park for a community tour, learning about the Karamojong culture and tradition. As you return to the park, enjoy another evening game drive for the missed animals. Before nightfall, drive back to the lodge for dinner and overnight as above
Day 5: Game drive in Kidepo Valley
- Game drive in Kidepo Valley: After breakfast, connect for yet another game drive in the Kidepo valley. This area is further from Narus valley and it is where you will find the Ostrich birds and other animals. This area is closer to South Sudan border to Uganda. You will also visit the hot springs of Kanangorok before you return to your lodge. Spend the rest the rest of the evening at leisure. Dinner and overnight stay at lodge as above
Day 6: Transfer to Pian Upe Wildlife Reserve
- Transfer to Pian Upe Wildlife Reserve: After breakfast, check-out of the lodge and transfer to Pian Upe wildlife reserve located in the northeastern part of Uganda close to Mount Elgon national park. It’s a 5 hours’ drive from Kidepo national park driving through the bumpy roads. Upon arrival, check-in at the park headquarters and prepare to rest for the day. You will either stay your own set up tent near the park headquarters or Uganda Wildlife Authority bandas for budget option or stay at Karamojong Overland Camp for a mid-range option.
Day 7: Game drive and community tour
- Game drive and community tour: After your breakfast, set off for a morning game drive in the savannah plains to search for reserve residents including the cheetahs, Uganda’s only population of the Roan antelopes, the Elands, Zebras, Hartebeests, Oribis, Gunther’s Dik Dik, Uganda Kobs, Buffaloes, blue and Common Duiker and Impalas to mention a few. Return for lunch and later afternoon; visit a local Karamoja community close to the park for a rare cultural experience in dance and drama performances and also be able to learn more about the community. Before nightfall, return to your camp for dinner and overnight stay
Day 8: Transfer to Sipi Falls
- Transfer to Sipi Falls: After breakfast, explore a bit more of the savannah plains for any missed animals. Thereafter, connect to Sipi fall in Kapchorwa district with about 2-3 hours’ on the road. Upon reaching with views of rolling hill, connect to check-in your lodge where you will have your lunch. After lunch, connect to visit Sipi falls. These falls comprise of 3 waterfalls with the highest fall dropping at 100m, second highest at 80m and third highest at 70m. Upon arrival in Kapchowra in rolling hills of the area in the evening, proceed to check-in your hotel/lodge close to the falls and with great views of the hills for dinner and overnight stay
Accommodation and meals (En-route lunch and half board)
- Luxury option – Sipi River Lodge
- Mid-range option – Lacum lodge
- Budget option – Casa Sipi falls lodge
Day 9: Transfer back to Kampala
- Transfer back to Kampala: After having a cup of Coffee, check-out of the lodge and embark on your jourerny back to Kampala. It’s about 7 hours’ with en-route lunch through Mbale town and Jinja town. this drive is incredibly interesting driving through Lake Victoria and other attractions including Mabira forest which is the largest rainforest in Uganda. Reach Kampala, late afternoon and your driver will drop you off at the location you advise or proceed to Entebbe airport for your onward flight.